Sometimes there is a requirement to uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks Point of Sale from a computer to perform the troubleshooting properly.
There are many times that the issue may arise while using a QuickBooks POS on your computer such as
In this post, we’ll discuss how QuickBooks POS uninstallation and reinstallation can be done but there are a few things to do prior to this process.
A. Create a Company Data File Backup
To create a QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale Company file backup:
- Open QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Go to File > Back up Data
- Browse a location to create a backup
Choose Default Location to back up the company data file on your local drive.
Choose Specify Alternate Location to back up to a network or removable drive.
- Then select Backup and Finish
B. Update QuickBooks Point of Sale to the Latest Release
To update the QB POS to the Latest Release:
- Open QuickBooks POS
- Go to Help > Software Updates
- Select Check for Updates
- If QuickBooks Point of Sale finds an update click to install
- Once the software is up to date, click OK
C. Keep QuickBooks POS License and Product Number Handy
It’s very important to keep your License and Product Number written somewhere safer prior to uninstalling QB POS.
In order to find the QuickBooks POS License and Product number, follow the below steps:
- Open QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Go to Help > About QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale
In case, your QuickBooks POS won’t open, click here to get your product information on your registered communication method(email, etc.)
Note: If you want our experts to help you with the QuickBooks POS Uninstallation and Reinstallation process, you can contact us.
5 Simple Steps to Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks Point of Sale
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Close QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Press the Windows+R keys to open the Run Command
- Type Control and click OK to open the control panel
- Now select Programs > Programs and Features
- From the program list, make a right click on QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Then choose Uninstall
- Click Yes to confirm the Uninstall QuickBooks POS
- If a User Account Control window is displayed on your computer, click on Yes to confirm
- Now it may take a minute or two to uninstall QuickBooks POS
Step 2: Show the Hidden Folders
There are some Intuit folders hidden in your computer, you may need to unhide them to continue the further troubleshooting steps.
- Press the Windows+E to open the File Explorer
- Click on the View tab at the top
- Then make a check on Hidden items
Step 3: Rename QuickBooks POS Following Folders
Renaming the QuickBooks POS distribution folders helps the computer to reinstall it from scratch and fix any potential issues. To rename the folders:
- Press Windows+E to open the File Explorer
- Click This PC from the left panel
- Go to C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale XX. XX represents the version.
- Go to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale XX
- Now make right-click on the above folder and then add (.old) at last. For Example, You’re using QuickBooks Point of Sale 18.0 in order to rename it add QuickBooks Point of Sale 18.0.old
Step 4: Remove QBPOSDRSrvUser Windows User
- Make a right click on the Start button
- Then choose Settings
- Select Accounts
- Choose Family & other users
- Under Other users, click on the QBPOSDBSrvUser
- Click Remove
- Click Delete account and data
- Now restart your computer
Step 5: Reinstall QuickBooks Point of Sale
- Go here to download QuickBooks Point of Sale to reinstall
- Choose the Edition first and then click on the download link
- Once QuickBooks installation is downloaded, click on it to install
- If asks, Click Yes to allow User Account Control permissions
- Click Next to start the install wizard
- Accept the license agreement and click Next
- Enter your QuickBooks POS License and Product number and select Next
- Choose the type of installation:
Only this computer: Only one user can access it
Two or more computers: Mulitple users can access it
- Click Next
- Now click Install to begin the installation process
- Now QuickBooks Point of Sale is successfully installed on your computer. Click Finish to launch it.
Once the QuickBooks Point of Sale is reinstalled follow the further process to restore the company data.
After following the above steps, you can easily uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks Point of Sale on your computer. In case, you need any kind of assistance, you can contact our experts or Dial our TollFree
- Transfer QuickBooks POS to Shopify POS
- Upgrading Old QuickBooks POS to New Version
- Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub