The QuickBooks desktop is accounting software used for handling the financial management of businesses. It helps to track expenses, invoicing, managing online payments, and generating timely reports. The software focuses on small and medium-sized businesses, offering on-prem accounting software and cloud-based versions. Today, we’ll discuss the System Requirements for QuickBooks Desktop 2021.
QuickBooks was founded by Intuit Inc. in 1983 (38 years ago). Ever since the company releases yearly groundbreaking updates. Each upgraded version introduces more efficient features which increase the productivity of a business.
However, these improved features have their specified system requirements to function properly. This implies that system requirements should be prioritized more. The system requirements comprise the fundamental configurations a system must have to function properly.
Disclaimer: The more sophisticated a software’s functionality is, the higher its system requirements will be.
Before we look at the system requirements for QuickBooks 2021, let’s check out some new features of QuickBooks 2021
New features of Quickbooks 2021
The QuickBooks 2021 upgrade has introduced some new and compelling features. Some of which you should consider. They include:
- Advanced bank feeds.
- Automated receipt management
- Rule-based customer groups
- Automated statements.
- Improved inventory functionalities in Quickbooks Enterprise
- Customer payment invoice.
- Setup and reuse email
Causes and effects, if the system requirements don’t meet
System Requirements for QuickBooks Desktop 2021
We have established an introduction of the features of Quickbooks desktop 2021. Now, what are the System Requirements for the Quickbooks desktop 2021? They are:
1. OS Specification
These are the valid Operating Systems of systems that have windows natively installed in them.
- Windows 10 all editions, natively installed and Windows 8.1 (Update 1) all editions, installed natively.
- Windows Server 2019 Standard and Essentials, and Windows Server 2016, Standard and Essentials.
- Server 2012 R2, Standard and Essentials, and Windows Server 2012, Standard and Essentials.
For the Macintosh Operating System, the minimum requirement is MacOS v10.
2. Hardware requirements
- Minimum of 2.5 GB of hard disk space. If there’s more, it’s recommended.
- Additional software: 60MB for Microsoft .NET 4.7 Runtime, available on the software’s CD.
- Additional requirements necessary for Intuit Data Protect in QuickBooks Connected Services offerings:
- Least acceptable RAM 4GB. If necessary, 8GB or more.
- Twice is the measure of the largest file set to back up or restore, and 100MB. This storage space is needed from the work folder LocalApplicationData+” Intuit\Intuit Data Protect.”
To get an ideal software performance, save your data on an SSD (Solid-State Drive).
Processor speed: A minimum processor of 2.4GHz
Ram size: Minimum of 4GB RAM, 8GB recommended.
Server Ram Specifications: Minimum requirement for
- 1-5 users, 8GB.
- 10-14 users, 12GB.
- 15-18 users, 16GB.
- 20+ users, 20 or more GB RAM.
- A screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 or more with a minimum of two extended monitors.
- The best optimized for the default DPI setting for a specified system.
- The US version of the user’s windows is required.
- Regional settings are available when set to English.
- Admin rights are needed when the server computer is hosting multiple users.
- It doesn’t need to run on a simulator or virtual machine.
A 4X (four-time speed) DVD-ROM is needed to physically install.
And other Hardware Gadgets:
For users using the Warehouse Manager feature in the Quickbooks Desktop android device, here is the list of acceptable devices:
- Zebra MC40 Mobile Computer (supports android 4.4 and above).
- And the highly recommended Zebra TC20/TC25/TC51 Mobile Computer(supports Android 4.4 and above).
Likewise, the Quickbooks desktop Enterprise 21.0 supports:
- Socket Mobile CHK 7CI.
- Symbol CS3070.
- Honeywell Voyager 1602g Pocket Bar-code Scanner.
3. Browser requirements
When it comes to the supported browser, QuickBooks 2021 supports Internet Explorer 11 browser with 32-bit architecture.
4. Database servers
- The natively installed Windows.
- Windows Server 2012, Standard & Essentials, and Windows Server 2012 R2, Standard & Essentials
- Windows Server 2016, Standard & Essentials, and Windows Server 2019, Standard & Essentials.
- For Linux OS (using the QuickBooks Enterprise server-only software)
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- Fedora 31,32
- Red hat enterprise 8 (RHEL 8).
5. Antivirus and Antimalware compatibility
QuickBooks has a list of validated firewalls and antivirus software that support the QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Enterprise, or Premiere 2021. They are below:
|Webroot||Trend Micro Security||McAfee||Norton|
7. Software Supports
QuickBooks Desktop is compatible with numerous other software. For your sake, we have enlisted below some of the software that is integrated with QuickBooks for your use.
- The QuickBooks point of sale in versions V19.0, V18.0, & V12.0.
- The Acrobat Reader. Some features in QuickBooks suchlike, Viewing forms, payroll, and Business planner need a minimum of Acrobat 9.0 functionalities.
- TurboTax 2018-2020.
- Lacerte 2018-2020.
- Internet Explorer 11.
- Pro Series Tax 2018-2020.
- QuickBooks Desktop for MacOS 2016, 2019-2021.
- Microsoft Office:
- Office 365 & 2013 both contain Microsoft Outlook for 64-bit and x86 versions. However, office 365 will support if installed from CD installation, not downloaded from online.
- Office 2016, which includes Microsoft Outlook for 64-bit and x86 version.
- Office 2019.
- Creation of letters in QuickBooks requires Microsoft Word of either 2013, 2016, or 2019, or office 365, which has 64bit.
- Forms such as E-mail, invoices, etc., require Microsoft Outlook 2016 till 2019, Outlook with office 365, Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, Outlook.com, and all other SMTP-compatible email clients.
- For exporting reports, Microsoft Excel 2013 till 2019 is needed, even Office 365 with 64-bit.
- For contact synchronization, Microsoft Outlook 2013, 2016, or 2019 (32-bit) are required.
- The QuickBooks contact synchronization is required for any contact synchronization with Outlook. Contact sync isn’t effective with the Microsoft business contact manager-outlook plugin, as it can lead to record duplication.
- Internet connection with a minimum of 56 kb/s is required by some online components such as the payroll feature.
Yahoo Mail, Gmail, AOL, Windows mail, Hotmail,
We have seen system requirements for Quickbooks Desktop 2021. Its functional advantages tower over the previous versions. Yet, it’s still recommended that you confirm if your systems meet the required specifications before going for the software.
- Could not connect to the Email Server
- QuickBooks is unable to send your email to outlook
- What is QuickBooks Software?