QuickBooks Error 12038 occurs when updating the software. Error Code 12038 generally arise because of incorrect date/time, internet connection settings, etc.
In this post, we’ve discussed the causes and solution steps to fix this issue.
Note: You may also face QuickBooks Error 12157
Causes for QuickBooks Error Code 12038
- Incorrect system Date/Time
- Internet connection settings aren’t set up correctly
- Security or Firewall blocking QuickBooks services to launch
- Multiple QuickBooks versions are installed on the computer
One thing to do before troubleshooting this error code
Create a Company File Backup
It’s a recommendation from us is to create the company file backup because if there would be any fall back in between the troubleshooting process, you’ll no loose any of your data.
- Open QuickBooks
- Go to File > Back Up Company > Create Local Backup
- Now follow onscreen instructions to create a company file backup
Quick Note: The process to fix this error may complex you can speak with our experts for a quick resolution. Dial our Toll-free or leave us your message.
5 Simple Steps to Fix QuickBooks Error 12038
Step 1: Reset QuickBooks Updates and attempt to Install them again
- Open QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to Help > Update QuickBooks Desktop…
- Click on Update Now
- Check on Reset Update and click Get Updates
- It may take some time to update the QuickBooks Desktop
Step 2: Ensure the Computer Date and Time
This step will work with all the Windows editions
- Click on the date and time at the bottom right-hand side corner and make sure the date and time must be correct. If not,
- Press (Windows+R) keys together and the Run box will pop out
- Type Control or Control Panel in a run box
- Click on Clock and Region
- Select Date and Time
- Click on Change date and time…
- Change the time and date according to your time zone and click OK
- Now click on Change time zone… make sure your time zone should be correct it may cause this error
Close and reopen QuickBooks, then try to install the updates.
Step 3: Ensure Internet Connection Settings
In order to ensure that if internet connection is causing this issue. Do the following:
- Open your web browser and visit your bank website such as chase.com, etc. If you can’t open the website, it suggested contacting your Internet Service Provider(ISP)
- If you can open the bank’s website, please do the following:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to Help > Internet Connection Setup
- Choose my computer’s Internet connection settings to establish a connection when this application accesses the Internet.
- Click Next
- Click on Advanced Connection Settings
- Choose Advanced tab, select Restore advanced settings
- Click Apply and OK
- Click Done
- Close QuickBooks Desktop
Now open the software again and try to install the updates.
Step 4: Configure Firewall and Security Application Settings
Sometimes security application may prevent QuickBooks desktop to launch updates. We recommend you, pause it for a temporary period of time. For Example, 30 Minutes and then try to install the updates.
This problem may also arise because of the firewall configuration. If the firewall is blocking access to the computer, it won’t allow you to install the latest updates.
You can speak with our experts for a firewall configuration.
Step 5: Multiple QuickBooks Versions Installed on the Same Computer
This error also occurs when you have the same QuickBooks versions installed on the computer such as QuickBooks Pro 2019 and QuickBooks Premier 2019.
Let’s say you need to install the latest release only for QuickBooks Pro 2019, please follow the below process:
- Visit QuickBooks Downloads and Updates page
- Now choose your Country
- Select Product such as QuickBooks Pro, etc.
- Select Version such as 2019, etc.
- Click Search
- Now click on get the latest updates(below to the Download button)
- Then follow on-screen instructions to install the latest release
You need to follow the same process for your specific QuickBooks version that you’re using on your computer.
After following all the above steps you’ll no longer face QuickBooks Error Code 12038 but in case it still exists, you can speak with our experts for a quick resolution. Dial our TollFree or Leave us your message.