While opening the QuickBooks desktop you may encounter an error message “QuickBooks already has a company file open. If you want to open another company file, close this one first.”
This error code generally arise when you click the QuickBooks desktop icon several time.
This error message will look as given below
Note: You may also Unable to open QuickBooks Desktop
Causes for “QuickBooks already has a company file open” error message
- The company file is already open
- The folder that contains the company file has a permission issue
- Several QuickBooks services are opened
Note: The process to fix this problem may complex, you can speak with our experts for a quick resolution. Dial our Toll-Free or Leave us your message.
3 Simple Steps to Fix QuickBooks already has a Company File Open
Step 1: Close QuickBooks Process from Task Manager
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc together to open the task manager
- Click on the Details tab
- Choose one of the random services from the list and press Q from the keyboard. In this way, you’ll be prompted to the QuickBooks
- Click on QBW32.EXE, QBDBMgr.exe
- Click End Task
Step 2: Close all QuickBooks Processes at Once
If you don’t want to close QuickBooks process each separately. You can follow the below steps to close them all at once.
The QuickBooks process may have different name in different Windows system. It’s easy to close QuickBooks processes all at one time.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the task manager
- Click on the Processes tab
- Click on QuickBooks and then End Task
- Reopen QuickBooks again
Step 3: Restart your Computer
If you don’t want to close QuickBooks processes manually. You can restart the computer in order to fix this problem.
- Click on the Start menu
- Click on the Power key
- Choose Restart
- Once the computer will be restarted, open QuickBooks again
If the same error message comes up in QuickBooks Point of Sale while Connection with QuickBooks
While syncing your data from QuickBooks Point of Sale to QuickBooks you may encounter an error QuickBooks already has a company file open.
It generally arises when Point of Sale cannot recognize where the company file is hosting.
Follow the below troubleshooting steps on to the QuickBooks Desktop
- Open QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to File > Utilities > Switch to Single-User Mode…
- If it says, Switch to Multi-User Mode
- Go to Edit > Preferences…
- On the left pane, click on Integrated Applications
- Click on the Company Preferences
- Choose QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale
- Click Remove and then OK
Note: This will not make any impact on the previous QuickBooks Point of Sale data which was received in QuickBooks Desktop.
After following all the above steps you’ll no longer face QuickBooks already has a company file open but in case the same problem exists, you can speak with our experts for a quick resolution. Dial our Toll-free or Leave us your message.