While opening the multiple company files, you may encounter an error The File Exists in QuickBooks Desktop. This error generally arises when the file is being read incorrectly.
In this post, we discussed the solution for this error. You can follow to make QuickBooks Desktop up and running.
Causes for error “The File Exists”
- Improper setup of firewall
- QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t have Administrator rights
Two things to do before starting with the troubleshooting steps
A. Create a Company File Backup
It’s a recommendation from us is to create the company file backup because if there would be any fallback in between the troubleshooting process, you’ll not lose any of your data.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to File > Back Up Company > Create Local Backup
- Now follow onscreen instructions to create a company file backup
B. Update QuickBooks Desktop
- Open QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to Help > Update QuickBooks Desktop…
- Click on Update Now
- Click Get Updates
- It may take some time to update the QuickBooks Desktop
- Close and reopen QuickBooks
Note: The process to fix this issue may be complex, you can speak with our experts for a quick resolution. Dial our Toll-Free or leave us your message.
5 Simple Steps To Fix Error: The File Exists in QuickBooks Desktop
Step 1: Run QuickBooks Desktop as Administrator
- Click on the start button
- Then type QuickBooks
- You can see QuickBooks in the search result
- Make a right-click on the QuickBooks version
- Choose Run as Administrator
- If asks, click on Yes to allow permissions
Step 2: Grant Full Access Control to the User
- Make a right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon
- Choose Open File Location
- Click on the backspace key
- Make a right-click on your QuickBooks version 20XX and choose Properties
- Select the Security tab
- Click Edit… and then Add…
- Type Everyone and click OK
- Select Full Control and click Apply
- Repeat the same process and type Users instead of Everyone
- Press Windows+R keys together to open the Run Command
- Type Control in it and click OK
- Once the Control Panel window is open, choose User Accounts > User Accounts
- Click Change User Account Control Settings
- Now move the slider to Never notify and click OK
- If asks, click on Yes to implement the changes.
Note: You may also face The File you Specified Cannot Be Opened in QuickBooks Desktop
Step 3: Run reboot.bat
Running reboot.bat files may help you to re-register your product file such as .dll and .ocx in Windows.
- Close QuickBooks
- Make a right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon and choose Properties
- Under the Shortcut tab click on Open File Location
- Now look for a reboot.bat or reboot file from the list depending on your Windows system
- Make a right-click on reboot.bat and select Run as administrator
- If asks, click Yes to allow user account permission. Now a CMD(black) window will open and show you different file scrolling.
- Now open the QuickBooks Desktop
If the same problem still exists, please follow the below steps too.
Step 4: Repair QuickBooks Desktop
- Press the Windows+R key from the keyboard and a Run box will popout
- Type “Control Panel” into the Run Box and Click OK
- Choose Programs > Programs and Features
- Select QuickBooks from the list
- Click on Uninstall/Change and Yes
- Click Next
- Choose Repair and click Next
- Click Repair
- This process may take some time to repair your QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 5: Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
Important – Before you go ahead and uninstall & reinstall QuickBooks get ready with your license or product number because in the process of the reinstallation of the QuickBooks desktop it will ask you for the information.
If you don’t have a license and product number, you can get the information on your registered email address by visiting here.
Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Press Windows+R keys together to open a Run command
- Type Control and click OK to open the Control Panel
- Click Programs and Features
- Under the Programs list select QuickBooks and click Uninstall
- Click Yes, If prompts you
- Click Next and choose Remove
- Then, click Next and then Remove
- It may take some time to uninstall QuickBooks from your computer
- Click Finish, Once the installation wizard successfully uninstalled QuickBooks
Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
You can install the QuickBooks installation setup directly from the Intuit website, please follow the below instructions to do so.
- Visit the QuickBooks Downloads website
- Then click on Standard Setup
- Now select the Country
- Then choose your Product as QuickBooks Pro, Premier, Enterprise, etc.
- Then select your version such as 2020, 2021, 2022
- Click Search
- Then click Download
- Now follow the on-screen instruction to reinstall QuickBooks