Double-clicking the desktop icon fails to start Quicken is one of the common problems in the software. There are many reasons for this mishappening like user run the Quicken in the double screen and tries to access it on the single computer that causes this issue etc.
Is your Quicken fails to start from the desktop icon? No worries! We have the solution steps to fix this problem.
Before we come on the solution steps let’s have a look on its causes.
- Trying to access Quicken from double screen to single screen
- Firewall or Antivirus like Norton, Avast etc stopping the program to run
- Improper Quicken installation etc.
4 Simple Steps to fix “Double-Clicking the Desktop Icon Fails to Start Quicken” issue
STEP ONE: If you’re using Quicken in double screen and trying to run it on the single screen.
If you’re using Quicken in the double screen and planned to use on the single screen. First, you need to move the Quicken from the external screen to the main screen and then unplug the external screen. It’ll help you to run Quicken easily on the single screen.
If you unplug the external screen without moving Quicken to the main screen, your Quicken may fail to start on the main screen.
Quick Note: You may like Unable to Open Quicken after installing the latest release
STEP TWO: If you click on Quicken icon and it starts and fails to open
- Press the Ctrl key and hold it and double click on the Quicken icon
- Keep holding the Ctrl key until it is completely launched on the computer
A. If Quicken opens after holding the Ctrl key it means your data file has some issue. We need to repair it to do that
- Go to File > File Operations > Validate and Repair
- Click on Browse and choose your data file to repair
- Once the data file is selected make the check on Validate File
- Click OK
- Your file will validate and if it does open that’s good but if not we need to restore the previous backup.
To restore the previous backup
- Close Quicken
- Press down the Ctrl key and keep holding it until Quicken is launched
- Go to File > Restore from Backup File…
- Choose the type of backup you have made and then follow the on-screen instructions
B. If Quicken doesn’t open after opening it in the silent mode (By pressing Ctrl key)
As we aren’t able to open Quicken in the silent mode we need to disable the firewall and antivirus on the temporary purpose because they may block some necessary files to open Quicken. To disable them please proceed with the following steps:
- Press Windows + R from the keyboard to open a Run command
- Type Control and click OK
- Go to System and Security
- Select Windows Defender Firewall
- From the left bar click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off
- Under the Private and Public network setting choose Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall (See an image below)
- Click OK
- Click on the Start icon
- Select Control Panel
- Click System and Security > Windows Firewall
- From the left menu bar click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off
- Under the Private and Public network location setting choose Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall
Quick Note: You may also like Quicken Not Responding
STEP THREE: If you click on Quicken icon and nothing happens
- Open the File Explorer (Windows key+E)
- Click on This PC
- Go to Program Files (x86) > Quicken >
- Under the Quicken folder at the top right corner type qw.exe
- Double click on the qw.exe,
- If Quicken opens, remove the one you do have on your screen
- You need to create the new shortcut, to do that
- Make a single click on qw.exe one and then right click on it
- Select Send to > and then click Desktop
Double-Clicking the Desktop Icon Fails to Start Quicken can only be found in Quicken for Windows 2016,2017 or 2018.
STEP FOUR: Quicken isn’t restoring back on the screen from the taskbar
- You clicked on the Quicken icon
- It shows you on the taskbar but not on the screen, it means Quicken is unable to restore on the computer screen
- Make a right click on the screen which pops up on the Quicken from the taskbar
- Click Restore
Quick Note: You may also like Quicken cannot open the data file because it is in use by some another application.
After following all the steps you will not face “Double-Clicking the Desktop Icon Fails to Start Quicken” issue but in case it does exist you can try to Uninstall/Reinstall Quicken or can reach Quicken Technical Support by dialing 1-877-353-8076.