When opening the QuickBooks Desktop, you may encounter a pop-up that states that there’s a new software update waiting to be installed. Sometimes users don’t want to update the QuickBooks and want to stick with the same version. So, in this post, we’ll discuss how can we disable the QuickBooks update services notification pop-up.
It generally comes up when QuickBooks Desktop is not been updated for a long time. It’s always suggested to keep the software up to date which will help you with the new functionality and prevent you from future technical glitches.
What could be the causes for disabling QuickBooks Update Services Pop-up?
- You may not be benefited from the new software functionality
- QuickBooks may cause some technical problems anytime
- As the operating system upgrades from time to time, the software may get incompatible
One important thing to do before starting with the troubleshooting steps
If you can open the company file, it’s suggested to create a backup before the troubleshooting steps.
A. Create the Company File Backup
- Open QuickBooks
- Go to File > Back Up Company > Create Local Backup
- Now follow the onscreen instructions to create a company file backup
B. Update the QuickBooks Desktop
- Open QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to Help > Update QuickBooks Desktop…
- Click on Update Now
- Click on Get Updates
- It may take some time to update the QuickBooks Desktop
Note: The process to fix this may be complex, you can speak with our experts for a quick resolution. Dial TollFree or leave us your message and we’ll contact you.
4 Simple Steps to Disable QuickBooks Update Services Notification
Step 1: Turn off the Automatic Updates
- Go to the Help menu
- Select Update QuickBooks Desktop
- Click on the Options tab
- Choose No under Automatic Update
- Click Close
Step 2: Turn off Software pop-up Messages
- Click on Edit > Preferences…
- Go to the General tab
- Choose Turn-off pop-up messages for products and services
- Click OK
Now you can close QuickBooks and reopen it to ensure that the QuickBooks Update Services Pop-up doesn’t come up.
Step 3: Unhide the Hidden Folders in Windows
Windows 8 and after
There are some Intuit folders hidden in your computer, you may need to unhide them to perform the next troubleshooting steps.
- Press Windows+E to open the File Explorer
- Click on the View tab at the top
- Then make a check on Hidden items
Windows 7 is an unsupported product by Microsoft now. It’s not suggested to use but if you’re still using it you can unhide the folders as given below.
- Click on Start and then select Control Panel
- Click Appearances and Personalization
- Under folder options click Show hidden files and folders
Step 4: Rename the QuickBooks Folder
In this step, our QuickBooks Pro 2020 is installed under C: drive. Location may differ in your case.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop
- Press the Windows+E keys together to open the File Explorer
- Go to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks 2020\Components
- Rename DownloadQB30 to DownloadQB30.old
- Now reopen QuickBooks and you won’t see the QuickBooks Update Services pop-up
Step 5: Repair QuickBooks Desktop
- Close QuickBooks Desktop
- Press the Windows+R keys to open the Run command
- Type Control and click OK
- Click on Programs > Programs and Features
- Make a double click on QuickBooks Desktop from the program list
- If asks, click on Yes
- Click on Next
- Choose Repair and click Next
- Click Repair
- Now it may take some time to repair QuickBooks Desktop
After following all the steps, you can easily disable the QuickBooks Update Services notification. In case, if it still exists, you can speak with our experts for a quick resolution. Dial TollFree or Leave us your message.
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Download and Install QuickBooks Desktop 2021
- Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop